Health, Safety & Environmental Manager
To manage the HSE function and working closely with all stakeholders, in order to achieve a safe working environment, across all company facilities (including Greenock Warehouse)
Planning and Strategy:
- Develop pragmatic and robust solutions and lead implementation, to achieve an agreed level of compliance with an HSE framework.
- Support Head of Quality and Compliance in developing and maintaining management systems such as ISO9001, ISO14001, OHSAS18001 and SEPA through development, embedding and promotion of health, safety and environmental standards within Ferguson
- To ensure the HSE Policy and supporting procedures, standards and working practices, promote appropriate safety behaviours within the business; including a continued focus on reducing the potential for accidents and
- To monitor and advise on the implications of current and emerging health and safety legislation, including evaluating options, making recommendations and generating action plans to ensure compliance across the
- Lead member of Health & Safety
- Actively support the Senior Management Team in promoting the company Vision, Values &
- Ensure a suitable Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan is in place and is tested at regular intervals.
- Co-ordination of the Emergency Response Team to ensure adequate cover at all times.
- Co-ordination of regular yard and vessel inspections, checking compliance with policies, procedures and company working practices to ensure they are being properly implemented and adhered to; providing regular reporting, including recommendations and improvement plans as required.
- Working closely with the Facilities Manager to ensure all regular safety related checks and controls are robustly maintained, including for example: testing of fire alarm system, annual fire evacuation, firefighting equipment, Check, tagging of lifting equipment and
- Responsible for management of the Permit to Work system, working with the Head of Operations to ensure verifiable compliance
- Co-ordinate and complete risk assessments and safe work practices/methodologies. Ensure current risk assessments are reviewed and advise management on any risks that have been identified during risk assessments and site
- Responsible for identifying potential, hazardous workplace conditions and initiating action to reduce risk.
- Manage and facilitate all corrective and preventative actions
- In co-ordination with the Training and Resource Managers, responsible for the delivery of a site safety induction for all new employees, subcontractor workers and visitors.
- Responsible for ensuring adherence to procedures and safe use of workplace transport equipment including cherry pickers, forklifts, cranes, vans, etc.
- To provide both a suitable level of support and challenge, across the business, to maintain safe systems, including provision of specialist advice, coaching and practical
- Keeping up to date on specialist areas including fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and
- Ensure procedures are fulfilled by personnel with delegated duties including First Aiders, Fire Marshals, Managers, Risk Assessments, Safe Systems of Work
- To ensure the health and safety function is developed to provide the required expertise to all areas of the business.
- To ensure Permitting and Emergency Response Teams are adequately trained
- To work within all business areas to ensure health and safety standards are appropriately implemented within their areas of control and are sufficiently robust for anticipated
- Develop and lead inhouse training with managers and employees on all relevant aspects of health and
- To develop a formal monthly communications strategy for all levels of staff to include written information, tool box talks and management briefs and input to board reports.
- To develop a formal schedule of HSE activities to confirm a pro-active approach to HSE management
- Ensure that all relevant statutory and other notices are published and properly
- Liaison with HR department for initiating and co-ordinating training plan and updating information and audit
Accident Reporting and Record Keeping
- Maintain all relevant HSE logs and
- Record all near misses, first aid incidents and other
- Investigate and report all accidents within the timeframe set by Ferguson Marine and the Health and Safety
- Investigate the circumstances and causes of accidents and take necessary steps to prevent a recurrence.
- Co-ordinate the issuing of notifications where required to the Health and Safety
- Prepares all legal documentation as
- Prepare monthly reports on incidents, accidents and non-conformance etc to the Head of Production.
- Managing and completion of incidents, near misses and accidents and produce statistics for managers as well as identifying ways or reducing or eliminating these in the future
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACOUNTABILITIES:
- Manage and control Yard Permit Office
- General administration and reporting as required
- Keeping the site up to date with Health and Safety legislation
- Maintain and implement the companies Health and Safety management system
- Implement site Health and Safety training
- Ensure yard / ships fire systems are
- Ensure fire plans up to
- Ensure fire extinguishers are managed and in
REQUIRED KNOWLEDAGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Solid technical H&S background
- Effective communication, networking and engagement skills, good team player
- Logical reasoning with a can do approach
- Shipyard or experience in a similar industry
- An understanding of current legislation
- Computer literacy covering Microsoft Office package and practical experience of implementing appropriate HSE related software solution’s
- Mixed heavy industrial experience in medium to high-risk environments
- Capability to engage at all levels
- Take ownership of issues arising in a timely manner and know when to escalate
- NEBOSH General Certificate
- NEBOSH Dip desirable